Friday, November 11, 2016

Feature Story Brainstorm

1. My main subject will be my mom, Gena Janssen.

2. I can talk to her mom, (my grandma) my brother, (her son) and maybe her best friend Chris Murphy.

3. I think my topic will be about how for most of my mom's teenage years she lived in Italy due to her dad being stationed there.

4. I will write a first hand experience angle/piece on my mom's life when she lived in Italy.


  1. Do you think you would be the person you are today if you did not live in Italy in that time?
  2. Would you of rather lived in the states during this time?
  3. Do you think the culture influenced you and the decisions you made?
  4. Does the culture still effect and influence you?
  5. How do the relationships you formed in Italy compare to the ones you made in the states?
  6. What was the most memorable part?
  7. What was different about high school in Italy than high school in Texas?
  8. Which one did you prefer more? Why?
  9. Is the quality of people different? How?
  10.  Tell me one experience that you will never forget.
  11. Was it a difficult transition from America to Italy? How?
  12. Was it an even more difficult transition going back to America from Italy? 
  13. How did the culture effect your high school experience?
  14. How did the change of cultures effect your everyday life?
  15. Was your daily routine different in Italy than in America? How?
  16. Would you consider this a turning point in your life? Why?
  17. How did the change in location effect your home life?
  18. When you first moved, how did you feel?
  19. Did you learn to speak Italian?
  20. What was it like being a cheerleader?
  21. Were you more involved in school in Italy or in the US? How?
  22. What were your hobbies?
  23. Describe a day in the life.
  24. What were some lessons you learned throughout your experience?

Grandma Interview
  1. Did you see a change in Gena after you moved to the states?
  2. What were some of the things she used to do?
  3. How did Italy effect the family? 
  4. Do you believe living in Italy made an impact on your lives? How?
  5. How was Gena influenced by the culture?

Chris Murphy Interview 
  1. What was it like meeting my mom?
  2. What was your favorite things to do with her/friend group?
  3. How did her leaving effect you?
  4. What kind of friendship did y'all share?

8. I will do the interview during Thanksgiving break.

9. I'll do the interviews at my house, probably on the couch or sitting at the dining room table together.

10. I'll record the conversations and take notes on body language and facial expressions as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment